The Linksys Smart Wi-Fi is a free service that comes along with the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers. It provides you a secured internet access to your home network through a web browser or from your smart devices. It gives you a remote access to your home network and setting up your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router allows you to easily access your router from any place with a secure internet connection using a Linksys cloud account and associating your router to it. Linksys smart Wi-Fi even allows you to prioritize devices on your network according to their required bandwidth so that there is lag time and buffering.
Linksys cloud account
The Linksys cloud account can be accessed through a supported web browser or through the use of Linksys app which supports Android and iOS devices only.
Creating a Linksys cloud account
For creating a Linksys cloud account for the first time, ensure that you are connected to your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router’s wireless network so that you can associate your new account with your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router.
- Open a supported web browser on your computer and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com as the web address in the address bar and press Enter to access the login page.
- Start with creating an account by entering all the required information in the fields provided. After that, accept the End User License Agreement, and Privacy Statement then click on Create My Account. Following this, you will receive an email asking you to activate your account.
- Select the the Send me information box if you wish to as it is optional.
- In case the page appeared is distorted, you should refresh the page or you can try using a different web browser as the plug-ins or add-ons that are out-of-date must be creating a problem.
- Check your email inbox and open the message from Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Mailer.
- Activate your account by Clicking on the link in the email that you received to activate the Linksys cloud account which you just created.
- A new window appears that takes you to the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi page.
- A message displaying Account is now validated appears after the account has been validated.
- You can now Log in. Enter the Linksys cloud account log in details that you created and then sign into cloud account.
- Move further to associate your router to your account by entering the administrative password of your router in the required space and then click Ok.
- The Linksys smart Wi-Fi Router Password is preset to admin by default. In case you had changed it, then you can use the current router password.
- You can associate your router only when you are connected to your home network. It is not possible to associate your router remotely.
- In case of several failed log in attempts your Linksys cloud account cab be temporarily suspended. In case you have forgotten your password, you will have to perform a password reset and then try to log in again.
Your Linksys cloud account has been created now successfully and you have also associated it with your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router. It is now possible to manage your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router using your Linksys cloud account remotely through a web browser or by using the Linksys app.
Linksys Smart Wi-Fi access
Ensure that your Linksys router’s firmware is updated to avoid any problems in accessing the router using your Linksys cloud account.
You can access your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi by two ways, either through Local Access or through Remote Access. You can access your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi through a web browser in Windows, Mac or iPad. You can also access it through a mobile device using the Linksys app.
- Launch a supporting web browser on your computer.
- Enter www.myrouter.local or the default IP address 192.168.1.1in the address bar.
- You will then be asked to enter your Linksys router Password, enter and then click Log in. The default password for your Linksys router is admin. In case you had changed it then enter the new password instead.
- You can also try to log in using your Linksys cloud account by just clicking the link provided at the bottom part.
- As you see the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Sign In page has appeared, enter your Email Address and Password. Click on Log in.
Note: In case of several failed log in attempts your Linksys cloud account cab be temporarily suspended. In case you have forgotten your password, you will have to perform a password reset and then try to log in again.
- The Linksys Smart Wi-Fi home page opens up and you can now access and configure whatever you wish under the Smart Wi-Fi Tools and Router Settings.
NOTE: In some of the Linksys smart wifi routers, the Device List is mentioned as the Network Map Tool and the External Storage is mentioned as USB Storage in Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers having older firmware version.
Accessing your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi remotely lets you manage your Wi-Fi to specify or modify your router settings securely anytime and from anywhere. You can the remote access steps mentioned below:
- Launch a supporting web browser and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com as the web address in the Address bar and then press Enter.
NOTE: ensure first that you are connected to the Wi-Fi before doing this.
- Enter your login details for Email Address and Password in the given fields and then click Log in.
QUICK TIP: In case of several failed log in attempts your Linksys cloud account cab be temporarily suspended. In case you have forgotten your password, you will have to perform a password reset and then try to log in again.
- Finally, the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi home page appears and you can then access and configure your router settings.
How can I find my Linksys Wi-Fi router’s password?
- Using Linksys Connect
- Launch Linksys Connecton your computer which was also used to set up the Linksys Wi-Fi Router.
To launch Linksys Connect on Windows, go to Start, select All Programs and then select Linksys Connect. For launching Linksys Connect on a Mac computer, you need to go to Applications folder in Go, and then start Linksys Connect.
- Select router settings on the Linksys Connect main screen.
- Type and enter the router nameand Password, the details of which are found under the Personalize
QUICK TIP: Your Router name and Password are the same as the wireless settings of your Linksys router.
- You can personalize the network name and password by clicking on Change
- Finally, you are ready to connect your wireless computers and devices to your router network.
Using the web-based setup page
- Launch a web browser on your computer and type the default IP 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and then press Enter.
- When the login screen appears, Enter the login details i.e. username and password (admin in the Password field and the User nameshould be left blank). In case you had previously set up a User name and Password for your Linksys router, enter those personalized credentials instead.
QUICK TIP: For Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers, you can enter the web address http://myrouter.local in the Address bar to get an access to Linksys routers web-based setup page.
- Go to the Setup page and click on Wireless option.
- Click on Wireless Securityto view the security settings of your wireless network. Note down the SSID and the Passphrase.
- After entering theRouter name and Password, you can connect your wireless computers and devices to the network.
Note: Most of the Linksys routers have a default username as –, a default password as admin, and the default IP address as 192.168.1.1.
If you have ever changed your username and/or password of your Linksys router and forgotten the details, you must not worry because all the Linksys routers come with a default factory set password which you can revert to by following the instructions below.
Reset Linksys router to default password
To reset your Linksys router to its factory default settings, you should do the 30-30-30 reset as mentioned below:
- Switch on your Linksys router after connecting it to a power source. When it has powered on, press and hold the reset button for about 30 seconds.
- Keep holding the reset button pressed and at the same time unplug the power of the router and hold the reset button for another 30 seconds.
- While pressing and holding the button, simultaneously turn on the power to the router again and hold for about another 30 seconds.
- After all, Your Linksys router should have been reset to its brand new factory settings.
Setting up Parental Control on Linksys Smart Wi-Fi routers
Setting up parental control in router not only saves from any third party interference in your network but also keeps your children’s online activity monitored.
Parental control give you an access of the features about time limit for internet usage, web access, program specific controls, block specific website and the game content. In case anyone tries accessing the blocked website, the user will get a message to login to Linksys Smart Wi-Fi account and change the parental control settings.
Follow the steps below to set up Parental control feature on Linksys routers:
- Log into your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi through linkyssmartwifi.com by entering your router’s login details.
- After successfully login to your routers web interface, go to Apps and click on Parental Controls.
- For starting the parental control settings, you must click on Enable parental controls key and check to ensure if you are able to see ON option on the screen.
- You will then be asked to make selection of the computer on which you want to setup parental control; you will have to type the name of the computer in the Restrict Internet access on List.
- To block access of internet on any computer, select Block Internet access option.
- You can further select the further setting as per your requirement.
How can I change the Wi-Fi settings using the Linksys cloud account?
For establishing a safe and secure connection, you must change the basic Wi-Fi settings on your router. A protected Wi-Fi will prevent an unwanted access to your personal information.
NOTE: The changes that you can make include assigning a Wi-Fi name linksyssmartwifi.com and securing your connection through a Wi-Fi password. Please remember that the Wi-Fi password is NOT the router password. Changing your Wi-Fi settings disconnects all your devices from your router and you will have to reconnect them using the new Wi-Fi settings.
The below mentioned steps guide you to change the Wi-Fi settings of your router:
- Access your Linksys cloud account by Opening a supported web browser on your computer to type www.linksyssmartwifi.com as the web address in the address bar and press Enter to access the login page.
NOTE: in case you have not set up a Linksys cloud account, create one and activate it and associate your account to your router.
- Click on the Wi-Fi Settings under Router Settings.
- Go to the Basic tab and click Edit under it beside Wi-Fi Settings.
- Enter your desired Wi-Fi name and Wi-Fi password in the required fields.
- QUICK TIPS: On some of the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers, Wi-Fi name is mentioned as Network name (SSID), Wi-Fi password as Password.
You can also do settings for Network mode, Security mode, Channel width and Channel.
- If you change the wireless channel, it lessens the interference to your Wi-Fi connection. Also, the available wireless channels might vary depending on your location and region.
- Click Apply and click on Ok to save the changes.
For making any sort of changes in the future, you can always access your Linksys cloud account within your local network or through remote access.