Linksys Router Setup Guide | linksys smart wi-fi
Have you ever tried logging in to your router? If you have, then you know that it can be sometimes a bit of a hassle. The login process is very easy and only takes a couple of minutes of the user’s time, but the user has to know how to do it first. Sometimes there are some complications during the login process and the user fails to login to the router. You must be thinking why you should login to the router. The Linksys routers need to be logged in before the user can go on to use their network. The main concern is to make the network secure by changing the default username and password for the router. The default information of the router is available to all the public. So anyone can access your network using the default information regarding the user’s router. So it is very important to change the username and password for the router and that can only be done by logging in to the router in the first place. And if you haven’t, then you can just read on to find out how to login to your Linksys router and gain access to the advanced features of the router as well as to secure the network.
By logging in to the router, the user can gain access to the advanced features of the router by logging in the router. The advanced features of the router include the Guest Network, Parental Control, status of the internet and wireless, number of devices connected to the user’s network, upgrading of the firmware and a lot more. Moreover, the user can also secure their network themselves so that nobody else can get on their network without their permission.
The login process is very simple and is often skipped by most people because many people think that the routers are plug and play devices. The user can simply go to www.linksyssmartwifi.com by typing in the address in the address bar of any internet browser. The router might or might not be able to work right after plugging in but nonetheless the router still needs to be logged in to help secure the network. Otherwise, anybody can get on the network without the user’s permission and access their network and might even change the settings.
With the help of the advanced features of the router, the user can get a better user experience and create a customized network suitable to their needs. The advanced features include:
- Guest Network – With the help of this feature, the user can create a number of Guests Networks in case the user wishes to share their internet with anybody without sharing their main network and all of its contents. The user can just simply create a Guest Network for a limited period of time and set up a different username and password for it for their Guest to access the internet.
- Parental Controls – With the help of this feature, the user can restrict or block access to certain websites and any inappropriate content on their network. They can also limit the access to the internet as they desire.
- Number of devices connected to the Network – From this feature, the user can check as to how many devices are currently connected to their network so that if the number is more than the user’s connected devices, the user can simply change the username and password for their network and secure their network again.
- Media Prioritization – With this feature, the user can prioritize the devices that they wish to receive more bandwidth than their other devices. For example, if the user wishes to provide more bandwidth to their mobile devices rather than their computers or Smart TVs, the user can use this feature to prioritize the bandwidth on their cell phones.
Here, we will show you the troubleshooting steps to setup and login to the router, to change the username and password, to update the firmware and to reset the Linksys router. For those who already know how to configure their router, this will be a piece of cake. For those who are attempting the setup and login process for the first time, there are some prerequisites required for the initial setup process. They are:
- Enough Ethernet cables to make the necessary connections.
- A desktop computer or a laptop for the initial setup process.
- An active internet connection.
How to setup and login to the Linksys router
- Connect the modem to the WAN port of the router using an Ethernet cable. Make sure that the connections are made properly on both ends.
- Now, connect the computer to any of the four internet ports located at the back of the router using another Ethernet cable. Make sure that the connections are made properly.
- Open any internet browser on the same computer connected to the router and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar. Press Enter.
- You will be prompted to type in the default information of the router. The default username and password for most of the Linksys routers is “admin” for both the cases. The username and password are both case sensitive.
- After you have successfully logged in to the router’s login page, the Setup Wizard will appear. This is the web based interface for the Linksys routers. From this web page, the user can go on to customize their network as they desire.
When you have changed the settings on your Linksys router, make sure that you remember to save or apply the settings on the web based interface.
Now, your Linksys router will be setup and logged in and ready to use. Make sure that you change the default username and password for your router as the default information is available to the public. Make sure that the username does not contain any private information as the username is still visible to other devices in the coverage area and that the password is hard for other people to guess.
How to change the username and password for the Linksys router
- Login to your router by going to www.linksyssmartwifi.com in any internet browser and typing in the default information of the router.
- Go to Administration and click on Management tab under it.
- Here, you will see the Network Name (SSID) and the Network Key (password) field. Here, you can enter the new username and password for your router.
- Click Save to save the settings made.
Now, you can login in to your network using any device by entering the new information of the router.
How to update the firmware of the Linksys router
The router needs to be updated in order to make sure that the router is kept up to date with the latest media devices and so that the security isn’t vulnerable to potential threats. The firmware update might also bring bug fixes and resolve any previously faced issues with the router. The new firmware might bring new features for the router and enhance overall speeds as well.
Here are the troubleshooting steps on how to update the firmware on the Linksys router:
- Go to the Linksys Support Site and download the latest firmware for your router. Make sure that you type in the correct model of your router. A different model update might corrupt the router and render it useless.
- Now, using a device that is connected to the router open any internet browser of your choice and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar. Press enter.
- You will be taken to the login page for your router. Enter the default information in the provided fields. The default username and password for most of the Linksys routers is “admin” for both the cases. The username and password are both case sensitive.
- The Smart Setup page will appear once you have successfully logged in to the router. Click on the Administration tab and then select the Firmware Update option.
- Click Browse to search for the previously downloaded file on your device. Click Open.
- Click the Start Update option to begin the update process.
- Click Continue once the update is successful.
- Once the firmware update is finished, reboot the router so that the changes made on the router can be implemented.
Warning: Do not interrupt the update process as any interruptions can damage the firmware of the router and even render is unusable.
How to reset the Linksys router
The router will be needed to reset if the user ever forgets or loses the information of the router. It is advised that the user doesn’t reset the router again and again because it might corrupt the router’s firmware.
- Locate the Reset button at the back of the router. It may be labeled as Reset or Restore Factory Settings.
- Using a paper clip or something similar, press and hold the reset button for about ten seconds.
- Release the reset button after holding it for tens seconds. You will notice that the LED lights at the face of the router have started blinking. Once the power light becomes stable, the router will have been reset.
After the reset has been done, the router will reboot itself. Let the router reboot. Once the reboot has finished, you can start using your internet as you desire and login to the router using the default information specific to your router.